Yet, if Latvia would be forced to go to war with Russia (which I hope has really slight chance to happen), here are 5 tactics for Latvians to win Russians if war pops up:
1. Leverage Russian weakness - "haljava". Russians have pro-verb "na haljavu i uksus sladkij", which means "for free, even vinegar tastes sweet". Send them high-cholesterol, fat rich products at no price, give them one week to consume all that, come and arrest them (we would need to outsorce this work to Chinese..)
2. Vodka. Russians love vodka. I think it would have devastating effect if they would not get alcohol for week or so. I am not sure the side effects, but chances are that once sober, Russians would simply agree that war does not make sense. Think of cutting spirits supply to them. If it does not work, do the opposite - oversupply of vodka (but I agree this might be not executable, as demand might be just infinitive...)
3. Invite Russians to play ice-hockey on national team level. Agree with them upfront that who wins the game wins the war. As demonstrated in previous championships, they think they are better than they actually are. That is why they would agree on any conditions. And we would have a chance.
4. Do not organize "New Wave" song contest. During long depressions and colapses of empires (think of Ancient Rome) populations demand wine and entertainment. Vodka case we discussed above, another case is culture and entertainment. "New Wave" - usually organized in Jurmala, canceled last minute, will make disastrous effect on cultural life of Russia. As a result, people will revolt and emerors will be overthrown.
5. Invent efficient, cheap alternative to oil. Even though science in Latvia has low financing from the state (among lowest in EU), we believe that our scientists are among brightest in the universe. Commercialize it, create cheap source of energy (for example by transfering pessimism and jealousy of Latvians into electricity). We need only to cut price of oil by half - the war is over...
Peace on you!